In addition to our international listing of theatres and research, the Institute provides additional benefits to theatres interested in participating in the organization as members. These benefits include:
- The annual national outdoor theatre conference
- The Mentor Consultation Program providing free consulting services to our members (see details at Mentors)
- Feasibility studies for new theatres provided by teams of professional consultants and ongoing development assistance for communities wishing to establish outdoor theatres
- Customized consulting services based on a theatre’s individual needs
- Awards programs for Lifetime Achievement and Volunteer of the Year
- Unified Auditions for theatre companies
- Listing in the annual membership directory
- Research and publications on matters of interest to the membership, including attendance statistics, audience surveys, theatre design, economic impact studies, technological developments, cultural tourism and marketing trends
Membership is an excellent way to receive additional benefits from the Institute while supporting its programs and research. Theatres and individuals who do not require these benefits can also support our work with a financial gift of any amount.
Perhaps the most valued benefit of participation in the IOT is the network it provides for theatre professionals who share common challenges, expertise and aspirations. .
Members of the IOT support the Institute’s work with their dues. Membership is an option open to all outdoor theatres.
Theatre organizations may join as members and receive all publications, member rates at the National Conference and Auditions, and listing in all printed and virtual publications. The Mentor Consultation Program is also available to Theatre Members (See Mentors)
Each Theatre Member has one voting representative, but other staff members can be designated as “Affiliates” at no additional cost. Affiliates receive all IOT communications and are eligible to attend any IOT function at the member rate. Dues are based on the annual budget of the theatre:
Any organization planning to begin a new outdoor theatre can attend Institute events and receive all publications for a “Planning Membership” of $125.00 per year.
Companies providing equipment and services to the theatre industry may become Business Members of the IOT, receiving all member benefits as well as attending the annual conference. Annual dues for Business Members are $275.
Private individuals wishing to participate in the activities of the Institute with member benefits pay annual dues of $125.00
The membership year coincides with the calendar year, but dues paid in the last quarter of the year entitle organizations to the next full membership year. Memberships lapse if dues are not received by March 31st.