The Institute maintains a significant historical collection of documents, photographs, recordings, scripts, scores and records pertaining to outdoor theatre. The archives are often used by members of the profession, scholars, students and media representatives for research and information and over the years nineteen dissertations and theses have utilized their research materials. In 2014, the National Archives of the United States recognized the value of the IOT archives by awarding a $56,000 grant to preserve and organize them in the East Carolina University’s Special Collections facility. Professional archivists will work with the collection for the next year to complete that work. Check out the archivists’ blog on how the project is going!
Materials in the collection include:
- Play Scripts and Music
- Souvenir Programs, Production Photographs, Color Slides, Marketing Samples, Video Tapes
- Architectural Amphitheatre Plans and Photos
- Financial Information, Budgets and Annual Reports
- Organizational Charters, Bylaws and Contractual Agreements
- Theses, Dissertations, Broadcast and Print Media Coverage